Thursday, October 21, 2010

Let's think green for a minute!

Learning how to take care of the environment is a task that probably will take a lot of time here in Chile. It’s no secret that most people here don’t give a … about it, and how could they, if there’s no propaganda, no media interest or commitment, or places designed for recycling proposes??…How can we start this learning process??
To be honest, I’m not a very green person. I drive a car daily, I don’t make any classification of my garbage and I don’t recycle anything at all. And I can say from the “lazy Chilean” point of view that recycling on this country it’s really hard for the common people. You have a garbage removal system that doesn’t give you any choice but to throw it all on the truck, recycling centers that are almost unknown, there aren’t any special dumpsters like in others countries where you can separate paper, plastic, glass and stuff, there aren’t many bicycle roads and the ones that we have are wrong madden, etc… So it’s not surprising that most people don’t do anything for the environment. We clearly need to reform this environment-indifferent way of life that we have chosen by a new state policy. Money must be invested before it’s too late!

Of course, changing the way that people threat their garbage or how they transport themselves is not enough to deal with this problem, because environmental damage is mostly made by industry. For example, I worked an entire month 2 years ago recycling on a medium size company, and I can tell you one thing about my experience: recycling makes a LOT of money. It’s the best way to get rid of the trash, because you can make profit instead of hiring a special cleaning service, and also it's environment friendly. At that time I calculated that I made like 5 times my salary for the company by gathering and selling different kinds of material… You just need to know where to sell the stuff! What better incentive can a company have to start changing their policies? GLOBAL WARMING?



LET'S PLANT THE SEED OF ENVIRONMENTAL CONSCIENCE!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, the conscience is the main thing to do to start changes in the environment.
    I like you pictures but would like more if you put "the trees"

    ReplyDelete